What is the most valuable part of a mobile solution?
The most valuable part of a mobile solution is the ability to gain actionable insight from directly interacting with the data.
After all, there is limited utility to collecting data in and of itself. It's making good use of the data that provides the real benefits. Simply storing all that information can save your bacon during an audit, but mining the data for insight can significantly improve your safety performance and make day to day processes safer and more efficient.
For example, consider a technician conducting an inspection in the field. With the right software, they're able to enter comprehensive and detailed information into their smartphone or tablet. They can also record the environmental conditions on the site. Based on this input, the mobile solution will produce a safety evaluation in real time, highlighting potential hazards, recommending specific procedures, and listing risk mitigation strategies.
Mobile solutions with these features go beyond simply collecting data and puts it to good use. It generates situation-specific reminders, encourages best practices, and reinforces safe behavior on the worksite.
(Learn about 4 Ways Mobile Technology Keeps Employees Safer)
Other Benefits of Mobile Solutions for Workplace Safety
While the ability to gain instant insight from your safety software is highly valuable, it is far from the only benefit you can derive from it. Other advantages of using a mobile solution include:
- Mobility and Accessibility – One of the prime benefits of a mobile solution is the fact that it is, well, mobile. Rather than waiting until they are at a desk to file information, workers can do it from any spot. This also eliminates the need for duplicate work, since forms can be filled directly on a mobile device rather than writing it down on a paper form and then transcribing the information at a desk later on.
- Compliance – Even with proper training, employees can occasionally overlook hazards or forget to follow safety protocols. Not only does this put them at risk, but it can mean that your workplace is no longer fully compliant. With instant recommendations, remaining compliant becomes even easier.
- Improved Safety Culture – Making compliance quick and simple also makes it easier for workers to take ownership of safety. Rapid responses to safety issues encourage compliance and motivates employees to buy into safety.
- Efficient Data Collection – Mobile solutions ensure that forms are filled out fully, without any steps skipped. And the more accurate the data you have, the better your outcomes will be when you make decisions based on it.
(Learn more about Democratizing Data to Keep Workers Safe)
More Q&As from our experts
- What is the best way to ensure a safe workplace?
- What is the biggest shift in companies’ approaches to safety this year?
- What's the biggest safety trend coming in 2017?