Heat Stress - Knowledge Center

Welcome to the Heat Stress Knowledge Center. There are numerous jobs throughout the country that involve hot environments, both indoors and out. And since working in these conditions can affect the body’s ability to cool itself down, workers must be educated about the dangers of heat stress and dehydration and how to prevent them both.

Featured Heat Stress Articles

Featured Heat Stress Q&A

Heat Stress Safety Meeting Topics

Heat Stress Webinars

Summer is here and that means being even more aware of safety hazards and challenges your workers will face every day. High heat, temperature extremes, noisy work environments, working at heights, confined space situations; increased (more...)

Workers who are exposed to extreme heat or work in hot environments may be at risk of heat stress and dehydration. Exposure to extreme heat can result in illnesses and injuries. Prevention of heat stress and dehydration in workers is (more...)

Workers who are exposed to extreme heat or work in hot environments may be at risk of heat stress. Exposure to extreme heat can result in illnesses and injuries. Prevention of heat stress in workers is important. Employers should provide (more...)

Heat Stress Downloads

Each year, more than 600 people die in the United States due to extreme heat. Heat-related illnesses often go unrecognized until it's too late and the damage is done. We need to understand the (more...)

Yes, hydration safety solutions are PPE too!Understanding how worker performance and efficiency is affected by environmental conditions is critical to reducing dehydration-related illnesses and (more...)

You don’t have to be sweatin’ to the oldies or your favorite Richard Simmons DVD to generate heat. Actions as unconscious as breathing generate heat as part of the metabolism, the process of breaking (more...)

Heat Stress Terms

More Heat Stress Content

Benefits of moisture wicking fabric for workplace safety

Moisture wicking fabric is more than just comfortable. Find out how the right fabrics can improve safety.

Tips for beating heat stress in hot working environments

Preventing heat stress involves more than just drinking water. Check out these surprising things you can do to stay safe while working in the heat.

Hydration tips from the research on athletic performance

We can learn a lot about hydration by studying the people who push their bodies to the limit. Find out what research on athletic performance can teach us about...

Risks of working under the sun

It's more than just sunburns. Learn about the sun-related risks outdoor workers face.

6 Serious Consequences of Heat Stress

Knowing the effects of heat stress is one of the best tools for keeping workers safe during the hotter months. Get started by learning six of its serious consequences.

Other signs of dehydration

Hot summer days aren't the only contributors to heat stress. Find out which other factors you need to watch out for.

Dehydration can have serious consequences

Everyone knows it's important to avoid dehydration, but not everyone knows why. Learn about the (often scary) outcomes of excess fluid loss.

How to Select the Right Moisture Wicking Fabric for Your Job

Performance and protection are critical for safety apparel, but it doesn't mean you have to sacrifice comfort. Learn more about moisture wicking clothing.

Drink Up: How to Prevent Dehydration on the Job

Staying hydrated is an important part of workplace safety. Learn about the effects of dehydration and how to prevent them.

How to choose a cooling vest

For workers in hot environments, keeping cool is about more than just comfort – it’s about and protecting their health and well-being. And while PPE is an essential part...

What is moisture wicking and why is it important for FR knit apparel?

Moisture wicking technology in apparel is the use of specific clothing fibers designed to pull moisture off the skin, transport it through the fabric, and then spread it...

Certified safety professional

The initial safety audit of a workplace or new jobsite should be a comprehensive hazard assessment to identify the physical, chemical, and atmospheric worker exposures...

Video Q&A - Why isn't water enough for hydration?

Hydration for the industrial work force. Are you hydrated? Are you sure? Hear what hydration expert, Bubba Wolford has to say about the industrial work force and how...

Video Q&A - How can I tell if I'm dehydrated and what are some of the signs?

We hear a lot about hydration but how can I actually tell? The easiest way is by the color of your urine.Check out Bubba giving us guidance on some other tell tale signs...

Video Q&A - What are some causes of dehydration in the workplace?

The average age of the industrial worker is 40 years old. Caffeine, alcohol, and energy drinks are common in the industry. How do these contribute to dehydration and...

Video Q&A - Hydration for my workforce. Does one size fit all?

From an organizational standpoint, what do we need to do in order to begin ensuring we've got a proper hydration solution for OUR facility? My workforce has many 40+...

Video Q&A - How is hydration different for a workforce where people suffer from diabetes and hypertension?

The average industrial worker is 40 years old. Statistics from the American Diabetes Association say that over 10% of that US workforce suffering from type 1 or type 2...

Video Q&A - How are onsite vending machines contributing to dehydration in the workplace?

It all comes down to what's in them. Highly caffeinated and high sugar energy drinks contribute to dehydration... causing low energy... causing people to reach for...

Video Q&A - Dehydration, not just a summer issue?

When most people think about dehydration, they think hot sunny days and and running around. Well, what about those men and women that work in hot environments even...

Video Q&A - How is the Industrial Sector’s awareness around hydration in the workplace?

Hydration and electrolyte beverages are prevalent and basically "no-brainers" within the sporting world. They are just as important to the industrial workforce. Is the...

Video Q&A - Are there any regulations when it comes to hydration?

In the United States, OSHA is the governing body for all things safety. But are there any regulations when it comes to hydration? Listen to Bubba Wolford as he explains...

Video Q&A - Should hydration and electrolytes be considered PPE?

We all know by now that a good risk assessment should surface the PPE we should be wearing. But what about hydration? Should hydration be in the same conversation as...

Video Q&A - Heat Stress & Cold Stress. How do they affect hydration?

We commonly hear about heat stress, but what about cold stress? Hear Bubba Wolford explain what both are and how the affect your hydration.Jamie: You keep saying cold...

Video Q&A - How do I get started to ensure my workforce stays properly hydrated?

I believe in keeping my workforce hydrated. How do I get started? What are the steps I need to take to make sure everyone in my facility is properly hydrated? Can...

What is hyponatremia and when is it a risk in the workplace?

It has a fancy-sounding scientific name, but hyponatremia is means something really simple: low levels of sodium in the blood.According to the Mayo Clinic, hyponatremia...

How can I tell if a worker is dehydrated?

Dehydration takes place when the body uses or loses more fluid than it takes in, and it can have a devastating impact on an employee's health and performance. Even a...

What lifestyle choices have the biggest effects on dehydration?

Hydration is about more than drinking fluids. Individual differences in lifestyle can increase or decrease the likelihood of dehydration. If you want to promote...

What should you look for in a moisture wicking fabric?

Your choice of apparel can greatly impact your safety on the job. If you are working against the elements, on any given day you could be battling heat, humidity, rain or...

What are some of the misconceptions about heat stress and what should we do to address them?

Working outside during the summer months increases the risk of heat-related illnesses, so it's important to go over how to identify the symptoms of heat-related...

What is dry evaporative technology? How does it work?

Generally, our bodies sweat to cool us down. This can lead to dehydration as moisture is expelled from the skin and, of course, this creates concerns for overheating in...

What questions should you ask before buying a cooling towel?

While it may not be the first item that comes to mind as essential Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), a cooling towel can play a crucial role in ensuring the health...