Human Factors Causing Accidents
Definition - What does Human Factors Causing Accidents mean?
Human factors causing accidents are those factors directly attributable to the operator, worker or personnel involved in an accident. A number of human behavioral factors may contribute to the accidents.
Safeopedia explains Human Factors Causing Accidents
This definition by no means condones or advocates the placing of blame, excuses inadequate procedures and planning, or promotes any other measures that impact the future of safety for everybody. This is a definition about those human factors that do cause accidents recognizing that not all accidents are caused by humans.
Human factors are responsible for large number of accidents that occur in a workplace. The following human factors are common causes of accidents:
- Memory - Memory lapse may occur at any time
- Judgment and reasoning power - May be reduced due to many factors
- Attention - Failure to remain attentive or lack of attention
- Delayed or false sensation of the sensory organs - Failed senses that could otherwise stimulate a response to avoid the accident
- Competence - Lack of competence and experience
- Skills - Skill level of individuals is important in any accident avoidance
- Personality - Some are compromising while others are hardliner
- Attitude - Negligence, arrogance, boldness and overconfidence etc.
- Risk perception - Poor risk perception due to poor knowledge and experience
- Individual characteristics - Anger, temper, curiosity etc.
Accidents that are caused due to human factors may be prevented or reduced by the following preventative measures:
- Training and awareness
- Supervision, monitoring and controlling
- Feedback and reports
- Frequent inspections and audits
- Skill development
- Accident Causation Model Occupational Health and Safety
- Accident Causation
- Accident Investigation Occupational Health and Safety
- Accident Prevention
- Field Level Risk Assessment
- Field Level Hazard Assessment Occupational Health & Safety
- Duration of Reaction Time
- Accident Health, Safety and Environment
- Accident Rate Workplace Health and Safety
- Environmental Factors Causing Accidents