Definition - What does Accident Prevention mean?
Accident prevention refers to the plans, preparations and actions taken to avoid or stop an accident before it happens. Accidents can be classified as unplanned and unexpected events giving increased risk of injury, ill health, death and loss of property, damage to environment or any combination of thereof. Accident prevention includes all measures taken in an effort to save lives, escape from injury, lessen the degrees of injury, reduce loss of properties, treatment and compensation costs, production and time loss, and morale loss of the concerned organization.
Safeopedia explains Accident Prevention
"Prevention is better than a cure" is an old and popular proverb, which means it is better to stop bad things from happening, than to fix them after they have already happened. Accidents are preventable, but steps must be taken to prevent them. It is a legal obligation of organizations to comply with the laws, standard practices, and safety observations to avoid emergencies and accidents.
Many accidents occur due to human factors. These factors include unsafe acts, un-mindfulness, negligence, lack of knowledge and training. Another leading factor of accidents is working conditions. Unsafe working conditions can include faulty machines, faulty designs, substandard processes, occupational hazards, fire and other hazards, etc.. Accidents will continue to happen if preventative measures are not taken. Accident prevention can be achieved by commitment and cooperation between management, safety programs, safety culture and accountability. Prevention requires the following actions:
- Hazard identification by risk assessment
- Removal of unsafe work by research and development
- Removal of unsafe machines, tools and improvement of working conditions and environments
- Accident Health, Safety and Environment
- Accident Rate Workplace Health and Safety
- Accident Investigation Occupational Health and Safety
- Accident Causation Model Occupational Health and Safety
- Accident Causation
- Human Factors Causing Accidents
- Mechanical Factors Causing Accidents
- Environmental factors causing accidents
- Total Loss Approach Occupational Health & Safety
Accidents Can Happen to the Best Companies: Are You Ready?