Safety of Workers
Definition - What does Safety of Workers mean?
Safety of workers refers to the provision of a safe environment, safe equipment and safe procedures in the workplace in order to ensure workers' health and safety. While organizations certainly have a moral obligation to ensure the safety of workers, an unsafe workplace can also have serious legal and financial consequences for employers.
Safety of workers may also be known as worker safety or occupational health and safety.
Safeopedia explains Safety of Workers
Workplaces are generally complex environments with competing and conflicting demands. That can make ensuring the safety of workers challenging. However, organizations that maintain a good health and safety environment for workers may increase employee morale and efficiency, which can ultimately contribute to the organization's growth and profitability.
Workplace safety can be achieved by:
- Providing workers with safety training and instruction
- Providing workers with proper personal protective equipment
- Creating a safe working environment, safe equipment and safe procedures that limit any threats to worker health and safety.
- Setting up adequate safety supervision
- Ensuring workers aren't subject to extreme mental and physical fatigue
- Ensuring that the hours of work do not adversely affect worker safety and health
Near Misses: What They Are and Why You Should Report Them