Definition - What does Industrial Safety mean?
Industrial safety refers to the management of all operations and events within an industry in order to protect its employees and assets by minimizing hazards, risks, accidents, and near misses.
Industrial safety is overseen by federal, state, and local laws and regulations. The Occupational Safety and Health Association (OSHA) is the primary regulatory body in the United States dedicated to ensuring industrial safety.
Safeopedia explains Industrial Safety
Industrial safety covers a number of issues and topics affecting safety of personnel and the integrity of equipment in a particular industry.
The following topics are generally discussed:
- General Safety – General aspects of safety which are common to all industries
- Occupational Safety and Health – Particularly associated with the occupation
- Process and Production Safety
- Material Safety
- Workplace Safety – Safety issues directly related to the workplace setting
- Fire Safety
- Electrical Safety – Arising from the equipment used
- Building and Structural Safety – Including installations as per existing building code
- Environmental Safety – Concerns the direct and indirect environmental impact of the industry