Vehicle Extrication Mean?
Vehicle extrication is the work of removing a vehicle from around a person who has been involved in an accident. It is necessary when the normal means of getting out of the vehicle are not possible, whether the frame of the car is too damaged or because the person is impinged inside or under the vehicle.
Hydraulic tools such as the “jaws of life” may be used to facilitate vehicle extrication.
Safeopedia Explains Vehicle Extrication
Vehicle extrication follows a six-step process as follows:
- Securing of the accident scene in order to prevent escalation of the danger—the main potential problem areas are fire, collision, and gas explosion
- Triage patient care by a medical professional
- Vehicle stabilization in order to prevent any further movement
- Opening of the vehicle to permit first responder access in order to assess the condition of the patient
- Removal of a portion of the vehicle to allow for the removal of the patient
- Extraction of the person from the vehicle