What questions should I ask when surveying my employees on engagement?
I want to measure the engagement level of my employees. What questions should I ask when I survey them on engagement?
Employee engagement is at an all-time low, with only 13 percent of employees being engaged in their jobs worldwide. Employee engagement, then, is one of the top concerns for organizations (learn more about The Importance of Employee Engagement and Its Impact on Your Bottom Line).
One of the most effective ways to determine the engagement levels of your employees is by administering employee feedback surveys (see Simple and Easy Employee Engagement Ideas for Improving OHS). However, organizational leaders are often misguided when it comes to the nature of the questions they ask. Survey questions should generally cover the following key areas: workplace satisfaction, feeling appreciated and valued, employee retention, and organizational culture.
Here are a few questions that you should include in your surveys to ensure that you get a good sense of the level of engagement in your workforce:
1. Workplace Satisfaction
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how happy are you at work?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how likely are you to leave your job if offered a pay raise by another company?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the organization's culture?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate the organization's visions and goals?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the opportunities the organization provides for your career growth and personal development?
- Do you have the right tools to carry out your responsibilities efficiently?
2. Feeling Appreciated and Valued
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how valued do you feel at work?
- Have you been praised or recognized for good performance by your supervisor within the last week?
- Do you feel that your opinions count at work?
- Does the organization give you a platform to express your views on issues that affect you?
3. Employee Retention
- Do you believe you will be able to reach your full potential working for this organization?
- Do you feel that your skills and talent are well utilized in your job position?
- Do you believe that your manager or supervisor takes your feedback seriously?
- Do you foresee yourself working for the organization one year from now?
- If given the chance, would you re-apply for your current job position?
- Does the organization provide appropriate education and training opportunities?
4. Organizational Culture
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you understand the vision and goals of the organization?
- Do you know what you should do to help the organization meet its vision and goals?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you rate your relationship with your team members?
- On a scale of 1 to 10, how well do you rate your relationship with your manager or supervisor?