Make it a habit to inspect tools, power cords and electrical fittings for damage or wear and tear prior to use. Any damaged or faulty equipment should be immediately replaced. When necessary you should always tape the cord to the wall or the floor. Check for nails and staples as these can damage cords, causing fire and shock related hazards.

Cords that are used must rated for the amperage or wattage that you are using. Make sure, too, that you always use the correct sized fuse. If you notice that the outlet is unusually hot, this is a sign that the wiring conditions are unsafe. Unplug any devices connected to these outlets and and refrain from using them until they have been checked by a competent electrician.

When working or close to or with electricity be sure to use wooden ladders or ones made from non conductive materials. If using halogen lamps, place them away from combustible materials like clothes or curtains. These can become extremely hot very quickly and may become a fire hazard. Ensure that exposed receptacle boxes are made from non conductive materials as well.

Be aware of where the breakers and fuse boxes are located, in case of emergency.