How can I provide solutions for the blind spots in my workplace?
Dealing with blind spots in the workplace is an important and ongoing challenge. If you can’t see other workers, vehicles, or equipment in motion, you won't be able to see the dangers that may be present in your work environment. Thankfully, there are some measures you can take to reduce the risks associated with blind spots.
Locating Blind Spots
In manufacturing facilities and warehouses, forklifts and other machinery often move quickly and will sometimes approach a corner without being able to see nearby workers. Installing a mirror in these dangerous blind spots can improve visibility, keep workers safe, and help prevent your machinery and transported products from getting damaged.
Office buildings, hospitals, clinics, and schools all have their share of blind spots, as well. As are many outdoor spaces. Roadways, parking areas, garages, and pathways with sharp turns or heavy shrubs or trees can also benefit from blind spot protection.
A strategically placed mirror can effectively remedy workplace blind spots. Mirror placement typically follows a few basic pieces of information, and knowing these criteria will help you in making the right selection:
- Convex mirrors are designed to provide a view for a specific angle in a 160-degree range
- Mirrored domes are used to provide a 180 degree view to each direction exposed to the individual pedestrian or forklift operator
- In both cases, one inch of mirror diameter equals at least one foot of viewing distance
When choosing a mirror for blind spots or any other business location, look for companies with experience in proper placement and mounting. Customer service departments at these businesses should be able to answer most of the questions you may have. If they don't have the answer, ask them to contact the manufacturer.
More Q&As from our experts
- How can employers prepare for OSHA's final rule?
- What type of clothing should be worn inside a clean room?
- What are the most common toxic gases in confined spaces?