What Does Site Supervisors Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) Mean?
The Site Supervisors Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS) is a two-day course offered in the United Kingdom. It is designed to prepare those who are undertaking a supervisory role at construction sites.
The course imparts supervisors with a better understanding of workplace health, safety, and environmental issues, along with the legal responsibilities of running a worksite.
Safeopedia Explains Site Supervisors Safety Training Scheme (SSSTS)
The Site Supervisors Safety Training Scheme course is designed and accredited by the Construction Industry Training Board (CITB) and endorsed by Build UK. It highlights the need for risk assessment, implementation of control measures, adequate monitoring, and communication to maintain a safe and healthy environment for workers.
The Role of a Construction Site Supervisor
A site supervisor has a number of important responsibilities on the job site, including:
- Overseeing the daily work of manual laborers
- Ensuring the timely completion of projects
- Assuring quality work within budget constrains
- Ensuring that employees follow safe work practices
- Maintaining a work environment that conforms to applicable safety regulations
- Conducting regular safety inspections and reporting identified hazards
Overview of the SSSTS Course
The course enables site supervisors to gain an understanding of:
- Supervisory responsibilities
- Risk assessments
- Method statements
- Toolbox talks and onboarding
- Effective monitoring of site activities
- Health and safety laws
- Identifying bad practices and timely intervention
Supporting materials include construction site drawings, construction tasks, and schemes of work.
SSSTS Assessment and Examination
The SSSTS course assessment is conducted as an end-of-course examination and trainer review, which has three elements:
- Exercise (collaboration with other team members and ability to work toward a common goal)
- Active engagement (participation and communication)
- Completion of the toolbox talk
The examination consists of 22 multiple choice questions and three questions with written answers. These include four critical safety questions that must be answered correctly in order to pass the exam.
The SSSTS course certification is valid for five years, after which a refresher course is required to remain certified.