What Does Safety Tour Mean?
A safety tour refers to walk arounds in the work place or the facility to obtain a general appraisal of the working environment and safety practices. This is visual management by the managers or seniors in an effort to monitor the compliance of safety systems in force, find the flaws or malpractices and take appropriate corrective actions to make things work as per the set standards and procedures.
Safeopedia Explains Safety Tour
A safety tour is an effective visual management tool for a manager for monitoring and controlling his or her organization. It instantly provides the following:
- A demonstration of management’s commitment to the health, safety and environment
- Keeping an up to date knowledge on the current layout of the workplace and surrounding
- Comparison of theory with practice in the work place
- Monitoring of safe systems in place
- Time to identify and recommend improvements and corrective actions
- A chance to plan for further inspections
- An opportunity to meet the employees at their workplace
A safety tour is generally human-oriented and is not a substitute for safety audits and routine inspections, which are more technical in nature. It is a good practice for an organization’s journey towards a goal to achieve a zero accident status.
Many people are influenced by over-confidence, complacency, optimism and peer pressure, etc., which may lead them to workplace hazards. It is the responsibility of the managers to make their supervisors commands make the consequences of the risk one is taking known, and to convince an employee to change his actions to avoid injury to himself and others. A manager taking a safety tour has to react to the observations, communicate to the responsible people, follow up the progress and finally raise the standards to make it successful.