Definition - What does Eye Protector mean?
An eye protector is an article of personal protective equipment (PPE) that protects the eyes from various hazards, including:
- Harmful rays
- Intense light
- Flying particles
- Wind blasts
- Sprays and splashes
Some eye protectors are shatter proof, while some are anti-fog.
Eye protectors come in various styles, including goggles, safety glasses, and visors.
Safeopedia explains Eye Protector
Eye protectors are generally made of the following materials:
- Polycarbonate – Impact and scratch resistant, ultra violet (UV) radiation protective, and lightweight
- Plastics – Lightweight, solvent resistant, and color or tinting coating
- Tryvex – Impact resistant and anti-UV radiation
- Glass – Heavy lenses, inexpensive
Eye protectors are essential when engaging in the following operations:
- Welding and cutting
- Use of lasers and other bright light emitting work
- Firefighting and HAZMAT handling
- Chemical processing and lab work
- Electrical work, plumbing, mining, construction, auto repair and manufacturing
- Work that involves chipping, drilling, scaling, grinding, polishing, buffing, riveting, punching, shearing, crushing, heavy sawing, wire and strip handling, hammering, unpacking, nailing, lathe work.
Eye protectors need to be of the correct size and meet the prescribed work specifications.