Land Transport Authority (LTA)
Definition - What does Land Transport Authority (LTA) mean?
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) of Singapore was set up on September 1, 1995. This statutory board, established under the Ministry of Transport, is responsible for planning, operating, and maintaining the island nation’s land transport infrastructure and systems.
The three major pillars that make up the LTA's roles and responsibilities are policy making, land transport planning, and regulatory functions.
Safeopedia explains Land Transport Authority (LTA)
The LTA is an amalgamation of four government organizations that were involved in the planning, development, and management of land transport policies and infrastructures:
- Registry of Vehicles (ROV)
- Road and Transportation Division of the Public Works Department
- Mass Rapid Transit Corporation (MRTC)
- Land Transport Division of the Ministry of Communications
The LTA itself is organized into the following divisions:
- Planning & Projects
- Engineering & Traffic Management
- Vehicle & Transit Licensing
- Policy Division
- Corporate Services