The Authority was established in 1989 under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act, 1989 and reports to the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation. The Authority has a number of major roles. We are:
- The national statutory body with responsibility for ensuring that approximately 1.8 million workers (employed and self-employed) and those affected by work activity are protected from work related injury and ill-health. We do this by enforcing occupational health and safety law, promoting accident prevention, and providing information and advice across all sectors, including retail, healthcare,manufacturing, fishing, entertainment, mining, construction, agriculture and food services.
- The lead National Competent Authority for a number of chemicals regulations including REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restrictionof Chemicals) Regulation and Seveso II Directive. Our responsibility in this area is to protect human health (general public, consumers and workers) and the environment, to enhance competitiveness and innovation and ensure free movement of chemicals in the EU market.
- A key agency involved in market surveillance and ensuring the safety of products used in workplaces and consumer applications. We have a remit to protect 4.5 million citizens from unsafe products and articles and to enable the international movement and trade of goods manufactured in Ireland.
Our Mission is to protect people from death, injury and ill-health arising from all work activities and chemicals
The Authority works with key duty holders to ensure that they meet their legal obligations in relation to workplace health and safety and chemicals. We motivate and inform through providing a combination of promotion, information, inspection and enforcement.
Our Values include: Commitment to customers, Respect, Integrity, Accountability, Quality and continuous improvement, Speed, agility and innovation
Join thousands of others with our weekly newsletter
- Oct26 Leading People Safely: How You Can Make it Happen
- Nov30 Safety & Technology: 2016 Trends and a Look at the Future
- ~Eleanor Everet
For safety is not a gadget but a state of mind